Sunday, October 02, 2011

Silence - Becca Fitzpatrick

Silence by Becca Fitzpatrick
Release Date (UK):  29 September 2011
Publisher: Simon and Schuster UK
Pages:  448

Buy Silence @ The Book Depository

The noise between Patch and Nora has gone. They've overcome the secrets riddled in Patch's dark past, bridged two irreconcilable worlds and faced heart-wrenching tests of betrayal, loyalty and trust... and all for a love that will transcend the boundary between heaven and earth.

Armed with nothing but their absolute faith in one another, Patch and Nora enter a desperate fight to stop a villain who holds the power to shatter everything they've worked for - and their love - forever. 

Becca Fitzpatrick has done it again!  The Hush Hush series is one of, if not the first, fallen angels series I ever read so it was a new and exciting change to the usual vampire books (not that I don’t love me some vamps!).  All of the usual myths and legends we have heard about angels paint them to be kind, gentle and innocent beings dressed in white. But, in the Hush Hush series Fitzpatrick creates a whole new kind of angel – fallen angels which have been thrown out of heaven.  There’s something oh so wrong (but oh so right) about the fallen angels in these books.

Before I sat down to read Silence I will admit I Wikipedia-ed Crescendo (Hush Hush #2) to refresh my memory on what had happen up until now.  Looking back on this having read the book, I think it was a wise decision.  So much action takes place in each of the novels and it’s easy to forget a key point in the storyline, one of the main downsides in waiting for the next book to be released.  (If you decided to do this too, I would also advise checking up on Patch’s real name – just saying).

I love the title for this book, without spoiling the plot I think it really describes what it going on in Nora’s life, especially in the first half of the book.  I may be wrong but I believe Becca was going to title this one Tempest? Whilst that would have somewhat fit I think it is perfect for what I imagine will take place in the last book (if my assumption is correct and the last one will be titled Tempest).

All the while I was reading this novel it felt very different to the previous two.  To me this isn’t a bad thing.  In the first two books the whole plot is much more ‘easy going’ and whilst there is threat most of what goes on is in some sense normal for Nora (school and theme parks, etc).  In Silence there is a lot more angel theory and mythology involved, which I loved.  It also seems that there is more danger too; in fact for most of the book Nora is discovering and fighting more and more sinister things.  The relationship between Nora and Patch is different too in this book – I won’t go into how or why in fear of spoiling it, but their love for each other will never be the same. 

Still, there were many moments in this novel involving Nora and Patch that made my heart skip a beat.  Every time he calls her ‘angel’, I find it so adorable. 

I don’t really want to spoil anymore, especially as I know the book isn’t out in America yet (finally a perk of living in the UK!) but I will say that if you loved the previous two books in this series I’m sure this third instalment will not disappoint! I myself cannot wait until next year for the final book!

No comments:

Post a Comment